If you want the best bike racks for garage storage to ensure your bikes will not be damaged or your living space cluttered up, this is the place to check them out. By the end of this in-depth review, you will be able to select the rack that best fits your needs.
- Top 10 Best Hybrid Bikes Under 500$ Review In 2020
- Top 13 Best Beach Cruiser Bikes For Both Men & Women [2020 Update]
- Top 9 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500$ Reviews (2020 Update)
Table of Contents⇅
Top 14 Best Bike Racks For Garage Storage Reviews In 2020
Fleximounts 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
Are you looking for the best overhead bike rack to ensure your bikes will not be damaged by water or sharp objects on the garage floor? This garage ceiling bike rack will get the job done.
Unlike other racks with a separate frame and wire, this rack sports a heavy-duty steel construction that holds up to 600 lbs of load.
You can easily adjust the height of the frame from 22 to 40 inches to fit the space in your garage comfortably.
Extra hooks and clamps can be added to secure your bikes on the frame.
The rack works well with both wood and concrete joists. It does not work with metal joists, however.
The package includes tough M8 screws to properly secure the storage frame.
In hanging the bike in this manner, you need to hook it on its rims. For some people this may not sound very appealing.
The instruction manuals are unhelpful when it comes to the assembly.
Looking at the big picture, this 2-bike to 4-bike rack is very well-built for easy storage of your heavy bikes or outside bicycles.
- Heavy-duty cold-rolled steel construction for safe loading of up to 600lbs
- Adjustable height from 22” to 40” to hang your bikes securely
- Universally compatible with wood and concrete joists
- High quality M8 screws included for 3X loading power
- The instruction manual is not very helpful
- Assembly can be tricky
- Bikes are hooked upside down on their rims
Monkey Bars Bike Storage Rack
If you are looking for the durable Monkey Bars to hook your bikes up, this is your best solution
This is a 6-bike rack that takes up to 450 lbs in weight. Each J hook is made from steel coated with rubber to hold a bike of up to 75 lbs without scratching its rims or paintwork.
Thanks to the commercial-grade steel used for the rod, you can stack your bikes together without worrying about them being chipped or rusting.
Installing this wall mounted bike rack takes only 15 minutes. The process is super straightforward.
You can install the rack outdoors, however, this is not recommended.
You should ensure that you have a sturdy wall framing and something to protect your bikes from the weather.
Because of its construction, this rack is not ideal for hooking fat-tire bikes. You may need to upgrade to larger hangers for that purpose.
Other than that, this Monkey bars rack works like magic and keeps your bikes clean and safe.
- Monkey bars can easily hook 6 bikes at a time
- Commercial-grade steel is used for protection against scratches, rusts and chips
- Wall-mounted bike rack saves floor space and installation time
- Adjustable J hooks allow easy sliding from bike to bike
- Not recommended for outside installation
- Fat tire bikes may not fit the rack very well
- Not ideal for tricycles
Steadyrack Classic Bike Rack
If you want to avoid heavy lifting when putting your bike on the rack, then this vertical bike rack might do the trick for you.
With its perpendicular rack design, you can easily pick the bike up on its rear wheel and hook it into place without experiencing any back or joint pain in the process.
This minimal bike rack is super easy to install. It saves a lot of space and ideal if you’re living in a small apartment or house.
The downside to this vertical rack is that you need to buy a separate one for each of your bikes. The planning part of the installation can be tricky depending on the design of your house.
Overall, this is a sturdy rack that works well, saves space, and fits various types of bike.
- Vertical bike rack saves lots of floor space and requires no heavy lifting
- Fits many types of bike from road bikes to hybrid bikes with 20-29” tires
- Steel and UV treated plastic holds a bike of up to 77 lbs without scratching
- A lightweight rack that can be installed anywhere inside the house
- Need to buy each separate rack for each bike
- Planning where to install the rack can be tricky
Delta Michelangelo Canaletto Two Four Bike Rack
If you don’t like hanging your bikes on one wheel, then this center vertical bike rack may suit your needs well.
Because of the gravity design, the rack has arms to secure your bike frame in a well-balanced manner.
You can reposition the arms to fit the height of your bikes. It can hold 2 to 4 bikes at once.
The rack is compact and can be easily installed in your garage, living room, or bedroom.
Take note that this may not work well when hanging 2 large mountain bikes. Some people find the arms wobbly.
You must make sure that you have at least 82 inches between the floor and the ceiling for the stand to fit. With lower ceilings, it may not be the right fit.
Other than that, you can safely store your bike on this stand without worrying about it affecting the balance of your bike frame.
- Center vertical bike stand that keeps your bike frame well-balanced
- Adjustable arms to reposition the bikes as you require
- Compact design that is perfect for garage, living room, or bedroom
- Not the best for storing mountain bikes
- Some find the arms quite wobbly
- Will not work well with low ceilings
RAD Cycle Bike Lift Hoist
This ceiling bike hoist system will save you a lot of floor space and holds bikes as heavy as 100 lbs.
It is very easy to pull on the ropes to lift the bike up. The unique pulley system works with little effort. A teenager or child easily use this.
With the safe locking mechanism, you can secure your bikes in place without worrying about accidental release. You can safely walk underneath the rack.
Together with the double-hook design, you can place your bike in a balanced position. The rubber-coated hooks do not affect the paintwork on your bikes.
This system is not designed to lay your bike horizontally. If you want to lift an adult 3-wheeler, you may need to add extra ropes for added strength.
Overall, the hoist can save you a lot of space and is easy to lift by yourself.
- Ceiling bike rack construction to lift heavy bikes up to 100 lbs in weight
- Safe locking mechanism to secure your bikes while avoiding accidental release
- Two hooks to store your bike in a balanced position
- Rubber coated hooks so the paintwork won’t be damaged
- Not designed to lay your bike horizontally
- Extra ropes may be needed to hang adult 3-wheeler
Saris Cycle Glide
For those who prefer a bike rack with sliding bars, this is the one to check out!
The rack effortlessly holds 4 bikes, each mounted on its own bar connected to sliding rods.
This way, you can easily select the bike you want at any time without them getting stuck together.
The material is 100% rust-resistant so no rust or debris fall onto your bike frame.
Built-in to this system are standard hooks that work well with tires up to 2.5 inches thick. For large fat tires, you may need to upgrade to larger U-shaped hangers.
What was not impressive about this model is its loading strength. It can only hold a 50-lb bike on each bar.
Because this is an overhead storage system, it is not suitable for people with neck problems. You need to lookup many times to get the bike down.
Overall, the rack still scores points because of its unique gliding system so that each bike has its own hanging space. You can also select each bike easily.
- Ceiling mounted indoor 4-bike rack that is rust-resistant for ease of use
- Effortlessly store bikes up within arm’s length
- Works well with tires up to 2.5 inches thick
- Low loading strength (50 lbs for each hook)
- Not suitable for riders with neck problem or short riders
- Standard hooks don’t work with 4-inch fat tires
Feedback Sports Velo Cache 2 Bike Storage Rack
This awesome free-standing bike rack is like no other. If you despise drilling holes in your ceiling or wall that could otherwise make your house look ugly, this is the solution.
Thanks to the free-standing setup, the rack needs no holes drilled to mount on the wall or ceiling. It is also incredibly quick and easy to install.
At the base of the stand, the 3-legged design that can support a weight of up to 80 lbs per bike.
To protect your bike from damage, the whole column is built with anodized aluminum that is rust-resistant and coated with soft rubber for grip.
Adjusting the cradle arms makes it a versatile rack that can hold various types and sizes of bike from mountain bike to cruiser bikes.
Because this is a bike stand, it does take up some floor space but not a lot. Be sure to check that you have enough room for the stand because it is 83 inches tall.
We recommend this rack to people who are not very handy when it comes to drilling holes or tightening bolts.
Also, it is a superb solution because leaves no “scars” on the surfaces of your walls or ceiling.
- Free-standing bike rack that leaves no ugly marks on your walls or ceiling
- Super stable 3-legged base can support up to 80 lbs
- An anodized aluminum column with soft rubber coating to protect your bicycle’s finish
- Cradle arms are adjustable can hold various types and sizes of bike
- It does take up some floor space
- Can be troublesome in rooms with a ceiling lower than 83 inches
Swagman Hang It Bike Storage
If you want a small storage stand that is easy to set up and take down, then this is a great best choice.
The unique feature this system has is the extendable rod. You can secure the rod in place up to 9 ft from floor to ceiling.
With its height-adjustable hooks, the stand can comfortably accommodate different bike types from mountain to single speed bikes.
However, you may notice that the rod is quite thin and the base may be too small for optimal support.
Other than these small drawbacks, this rack works well. You can purchase 2-bike, 4-bike, or 5-bike pack models depending on your needs.
- Extendable rod from floor to ceiling to secure the bikes
- Height-adjustable hooks to fit different kinds of bikes and sizes
- Simple components for the easiest setup and take-down
- The rod is quite thin
- The base may not offer the optimal support
Feedback Sports RAKK Bicycle Storage Stand
For riders who have expensive carbon frame bicycles or for people living in small apartments, this bike stand is the best option.
It holds either your front or rear wheel firmly in place without damaging any of the other components.
If required, you can modify the rack to stand your bike up vertically. This is a great way to free up space in small houses.
Furthermore, the stand works well with big tires such as those on mountain bikes.
This rack can be installed in a matter of minutes because it is very simple to set up.
While some people like to ride their bike stationary on a stand, keep in mind that with this rack this is not possible. Also, if you have multiple bikes, you need to buy several stands.
Despite the many features, this rack is relatively cheap. If you don’t want a bike stand to touch your expensive bike frame or rims, then this is the best solution on the market.
- Spring-loaded arms to hold your bikes’ wheels and not touch the precious frame
- Can be modified to hook the bike vertically
- Compatible with mountain bikes with 29-inch tires
- Really easy to assemble and store your bike in a matter of minutes
- You can’t ride the bike stationary on this stand
- One stand works with one bike
Bike Nook Bicycle Stand
If you need a small stand that does no damage to your bikes, then this is the one for you.
With this particular rack, you can keep the bike in an upright handstand position that saves a lot of space in your room or garage.
You won’t experience the issue of the bike falling off and scratching your cars when used in a garage.
Furthermore, the stand won’t damage your bike’s thanks to the low-profile seat tube holder.
Assembling the rack together takes no time at all, even your kids can do it.
Although the stand works well for most bicycles, it may not be suitable for bikes with a big rear basket or cargo rack. It works ok on bikes with a rear fender, though.
Unfortunately, you would want to look for something bigger to hold your fat tire mountain bikes.
Other than that, this is a good solution that doesn’t leave marks on your bikes’ frame, rims, or wheels.
- Uses an upright handstand position to keep your bike from scratching cars in the garage
- No more scratching on the bike thanks to the clever seat tube holder
- Simple to assemble
- Keeps your bikes inside to protect it against weather
- May not work with bikes with a basket
- Not suitable for big tires of 4.5 inches
Feedback Sports Velo Wall Rack
This wall-mounted bike rack is a compact option for people who demand a rock-solid holder for their bikes.
Installing this rack on the wall stud is an incredibly easy task. You do need to drill some holes and use your DIY tools, though.
Using the movable rubber claws, the rack accommodates bikes with crossbars such as your fixies or mountain bikes and those with curved bars such as your beach cruisers.
Thanks to the compact design, you don’t have to deal with knobs or complicated adjustments. The rack also saves you floor and ceiling space.
This rack may not be the best for mountain bikes with wide handlebars because the front wheel tends to turn.
You will need to drill holes in your wall to hook this up. If you cannot do this, then the rack may not be for you. If you are fine with this, it works exceptionally well.
As a recap on the strengths of this wall rack, you can hook your 27-lb full suspension bike or 50-lb electric bike easily without limited heavy lifting.
- Wall-mounted bike rack that is quick and easy to install
- Adjustable rubber claws hold crossbar or curved top tube safely and easily
- Super compact design saving you floor and ceiling space
- Not the best for mountain bikes because of their wide handlebars
- You need to drill holes in your wall
- You need multiple racks for multiple bikes
CyclingDeal 5 Bike Bicycle Floor Parking Rack Storage Stand
Buying individual bike stand sounds like too much hassle for your awesome bike collection? Then check out this 5-bike floor parking rack.
The rack system is designed with ample spacing between each holder so no bike will touches or scratches another.
Thanks to the high-quality coating, the bike rack can be used outdoors as well as indoors.
The spacious rack is good enough for a large number of mountain bikes and road bikes.
It works well with 16” kids bike although it is not the best out there.
You can not extend the system to hold more bikes because the length is fixed. However, you can do so if you have the right kit or enough space.
In summary, the solution works if you have more than 1 bike in your family and require a solid rack to hold them all in one place.
- High-quality rack to hold 5 bikes with good spacing between them
- Coated with shining powder so you can use indoor & outdoor
- Works with big mountain bike tires as well as road bikes
- May not suit smaller tires
- May not be extended to hold the 6th bike
Bike Lane Bicycle Storage Lift Bike Hoist
Equipped with robust engineering, this bike storage system can hold your heavy bikes in place securely.
Coupled with a strong lock mechanism, you won’t experience any loose hanging issues or the bikes falling off the ceiling.
Setting up the system requires very the use of a few tools. However, there are no instruction manuals in the box to help beginners making this a confusing downside.
With soft rubber claws, you can hang your bike up without worrying about any scratches to the paintwork.
You can’t lay the bikes horizontally with this rack.
Other than these points, the system delivers rock-solid strength to keep your bike safe in the air.
- Robust engineering to hang objects up to 125 lbs of weight
- Secure safety lock system so your bike won’t fall
- Overhead ceiling mount rack requires some basic tools to set up
- Rubber coated hooks to protect your bikes from being chipped
- Does not lift bikes horizontally
- No instruction manuals to help new users
TEKTON 7644 Heavy Duty Bike Hooks, Ceiling Mount, 2-Piece
Want an inexpensive option to hang your bikes and organize cluttered garages? Well, this is the solution for you.
These heavy-duty J hooks can handle a load of over 100 lbs. For most bikes, this capacity would certainly be enough.
With the non-marring, non-slip coating, your bike can be secured in place without it leaning off-center.
These huge hooks can hold bikes with thick tires of up to 4.8 inches. With this in mind, it may not be the best solution for smaller bikes like a kids bike.
To install the hooks, you may need to use a stud finder. It will work perfectly on a wooden or concrete roof.
All in all, this is your most inexpensive bike rack that will declutter your living space and protect your bike from sharp objects or scratches.
- Heavy-duty hooks to hang bikes over 100 lbs
- A protective coating so your rims won’t be affected
- Can hook bikes with 4.8-inch tires without any issues
- Needs a stud finder
- Hooks may be too big for smaller tires
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Bike Racks for Garage Storage In 2019
Type of House
If you have a bigger living space, then you can consider getting overhead storage in your garage, the pulley system, or some Monkey Bars.
These storage systems can save you lots of floor space and help organize your garage and bikes in a far tidier fashion.
Be aware, though, that these racks may require assembly and some heavy lifting.
If you have limited space, a bike stand, free-standing rack, or storage hooks may be the best solutions for you.
These types of bike racks are inexpensive. They require far less time to assemble and work well.
Number of Bikes
How many bikes do you own?
If you only have one bike, then choose a 1-bike rack. There are some models that you can hook on the wall and others that allow you to secure bikes on their wheels.
If you have 2 to 4 bikes, then consider a 2-bike or 4-bike rack. There are many designs in this category. If you want to save floor space, get an overhead bike storage system. If you want to hang your bikes in your living room, you can consider the wall-mounted system.
If you have a collection of more than 4 bikes, you should opt for Monkey Bars or 5-bike bike stand pack. These work especially well for families.
Weight of Your Bikes
How much does your bike weigh? Many bikes weigh from 27 through 50 lbs.
While weight is no issue for a heavy-duty system that can take up a load of 70-80 lbs per hook, you may want to check the weight capacity on smaller systems like individual hangers.
Your Bikes’ Tires
Because of their design, some bike racks will fit only average-sized tires like 20, 24, 26, etc.
For big mountain bikes with fat 29-inch tires, you may require a larger, stronger hook.
Furthermore, tires on a kid’s bike are often around 16 inches and may not fit well on some models, causing the bike to stand awkwardly.
Many people don’t want their racks to touch their expensive carbon frame. For this reason, the vertical stand is best where the system will hold their bikes’ seat tube.
Other people don’t like clamps that can damage their rims, hence the reason for a bike stand that sits the bike on its wheels is a good choice.
If you don’t want your bike to lean too much to the left or right, you should consider a center vertical stand to keep your bikes balanced.
1. How do you put a bike rack on the wall?
The process varies for different types of bike rack. However, here are the basic steps to follow:
Step #1: Plan out space.
Where do you want to hang your bike? You need to leave enough space from the floor up and the ceiling down for optimal storage
Step #2: Drill the holes
Use your electric or cordless drill to make the holes in your wall. Two holes are often enough.
Use the appropriate rod size depending on the size of your wall-mounted bike rack.
Step #3: Hook some stud
After drilling the holes, plug some wall studs into them.
Step #4: Put your rack on the stud
That’s basically it! Now you have a secure place to hang your bikes.
2. How do I store my bike in my apartment?
You have various options:
Use a bike stand: This system holds your bike on its front or rear wheel. The best thing about these racked is that they are compact. No holes need to be drilled, simply stand the bike on the rack and the job is done.
Use a bike rack: A free-standing bike rack requires no drilling which could disturb your neighbors. Your landlord may not allow you to drill holes in your apartment rooms. This simple solution saves headaches and keeps your bike secure.
Use hooks or wall-mounted racks: If they are okay with holes in their walls or ceilings, you can try out the hooks or wall-mounted racks. These are inexpensive options that leave only a small footprint in your apartment. They are strong enough to hang your bikes safely.
When choosing the best bike racks it is important to step your bikes from scratching the cars or being scratched themselves. Proper storage frees up living space. Hope you found the post helpful. Thanks for reading!