More commonly associated with adolescent big wheels and biker gangs, adult electric tricycle aren’t usually thought of as being part of the traditional cycling world. Seen, by most cyclists, as existing in some strange middle ground between bicycles, mobility scooters, and the more extreme pursuits of skateboarding and go-karting, tricycles have never really “fitted” in.
They’ve never been taken seriously by two-wheeled enthusiasts and have been consistently “mocked” by board riding, four-wheel devotees for being something designed solely for seniors and retirees. Electric tricycles for adults have always had a rough ride. Or at least, they did until recently.
While trikes always used to be a thing of derision and mockery, with the advent of the e-bike and it’s gradual ascension to mainstream popularity, engineers and developers began to seriously reconsider the trike as a viable form of electric transportation.
More balanced, easier to control, and far more sturdy than a conventional bicycle, the trike seemed to lend itself perfectly to the idea of the e-bike. Rather than being an afterthought, the trike was now seen as being the future of the electric bike.
Ironically, it was the very market that conventional trikes were thought to appeal to that would open it up to other generations and transform it from being a mainstay of the elderly into an all-purpose e-bike that would appeal to all ages. All it took to make the adult trike cool was the addition of a motor and a full electronic conversion.
When things become more appealing and people start to take an interest in trikes, that’s when companies being to seriously think about their manufacturing and marketing strategies. And when electric trikes started to take off, more and more companies started to make them, and the market went from supporting a few niche manufacturers to being flooded with hundreds of makes and models of the trike, each desperately trying to claim their “fair” share of the next big thing.
This has made choosing an 3 wheel electric bike increasingly difficult. Rather than have you pull your hair out in sheer frustration while frantically comparing and trying to decide which three wheel electric bike is best for you, we’ve found five of the best trikes currently dominating the market, so now all that you have to do is choose which one of the five is your perfect trike.
Saddle up and get on your trike, it’s time to ride…
Table of Contents⇅
The Best 3 Wheel Electric Bike
1. eWheels EW-29 Adult Electric Tricycle
One of the more popular three wheel electric bikes, the eWheels EW-29 is a more conventional-looking tricycle that’s been given a twenty-first-century make-over. It’s a hybrid trike and incredibly light, so you can either pedal it, and completely depend on your power, use a combination of pedal and electric power or rely entirely on the electric motor. And the EW-29 makes it easy to switch between the three options, so you can change your mind halfway through your journey without a care in the world.
Fully charged, the EW-29 has a twenty-mile range and a top speed, when you’re using the electric motor, of fifteen miles per hour. Featuring an LED gauge to let you know how much charge is left in the battery, a front LED light, electric horn, and a simple gearing system that lets you switch between forward and reverse, the EW-29 is a sublime symbiosis of tradition and futurism.
Ideal for shopping trips, it’s front and rear baskets can handle and carry all of the groceries that you’ll need to put in them, or just venturing out and about, the EW-29 has become one of best-selling adult electric trikes from one of the industries forerunners, and it’s not difficult to see why.
- The EW-29 has a 500 watt rear fitted motor which ensures smooth and constant power delivery. When you need the motor to kick in, you just hit go and the EW-29 responds in kind.
- With a range of twenty miles and a top speed of fifteen miles per hour, you’ll be able to cruise to wherever it is you want to go in comfort and style.
- This eWheels trike has two large storage compartments, or baskets as they’re more commonly known. While the one at the front is pretty big, it’s the rear one that we’re most impressed with as it’s absolutely HUGE. It really will carry everything that you need it to.
- Easily mountable, the EW-29 has a low, step-through frame that makes getting on and riding it easy.
- It’s a city-bound bike and made to ride smooth concrete streets and paths. It doesn’t like the wild, won’t go off-road, and can’t handle rougher terrain. The EW-29 is an urbanite trike and doesn’t like the country much at all.
- One of the most common complaints about the EW-29 is eWheels customer service, which by all accounts isn’t everything that you, or we or anyone else for that matter, would like, or expect, it to be.
- At around sixteen hundred dollars the EW-29 isn’t cheap and shouldn’ be an impulse buy. You’ll have to carefully weigh up all of the pros and cons before deciding to part with your pennies for this trike.
Founded in 2011, Addmotor started life with one purpose. To design and build the best electric bicycle and tricycles possible, and so far their position in the e-bike world has gone unchallenged. They did exactly what they set to do, and the Motan Electric Tricycle for adults has cemented their premiere position.
It’s a big wheel high-end trike that’s made to go anywhere and everywhere and, stylistically, is closer to a mountain bike than a conventional trike. Able to carry a maximum load of 350 pounds, the Motan will deliver the same level of exacting and compelling performance, regardless of the size of its rider.
Powered by a 750-watt motor that produces a razor-sharp, impressive level of torque, the Motan will reach a top speed of between twenty-three and twenty-five miles per hour in less time than it takes to remove your feet from the pedals. With a range of around fifty miles on a single, full charge (which takes between six and seven hours), the Motan is a go anywhere, do anything for a 3 wheel electric bike that’s as comfortable and easy to ride on the mountain trails as it is on the city streets.
With an independent rear light, a weatherproof rear compartment that’s fitted in the basket and a handlebar, twist throttle control, the Wotan is a seriously strong trike that’s made to last, do everything a conventional bicycle would do and still provide the all the comforts and ease that an adult electric tricycle should.
- The Motan is the be-all, end-all of on and off-road motorized tricycle – it’s incredible suspension system and low, step-through aluminum frame make it easy to mount and a joy to ride.
- You’ll be constantly aware of how much juice is left in your battery thanks to the LED monitor that’s positioned on the handlebars. And if you do run out of power because you’re having too much fun? You can just pedal the Motan home. Providing of course, that you haven’t gone too far off-road.
- That fifty miles and some spare change range? That’s not to be sniffed at and is right up there at the technical end of what can be achieved in the motorized tricycle spectrum. It’s a technological miracle.
- With the Motan, you won’t be limited to riding smooth streets and concrete paths. When Addmotor says that this motorized tricycle can go anywhere, they mean it. It can literally go anywhere and everywhere. Think of it as a super-powered mountain trike, and you’ll be in the right ballpark – it’s the Kal-El still wearing Clark Kent’s glasses of the electric trike world.
- Unfortunately, all of those super-powers come at a super-powered price. At around the three thousand dollar mark, this high-end, do it all adult electric tricycle is a high-rollers only sort of ride. It might come with a staggering amount of technological extras, but you will pay through the nose for each and every one of them.
3. Emojo Caddy Motorized Tricycle
Sometimes you just want to cruise around in style and look good while you’re getting to wherever it is you’re going. And if that’s the case, then the Emojo Caddy is most definitely the 3 wheels electric bike that you’ll want to ride all, and all night, long. The Emojo Caddy is the Cadillac of adult electric tricycles, and it wouldn’t surprise us in the slightest if the Caddy in its name was a tribute to the luxury car brand. They both ride the same, they both look good and they both turn the same number of heads as you sail past onlookers, gawkers and passers-by in, and on, them
Those big tires on those big wheels, the suspension, and the aluminum frame that can easily haul up to three hundred and twenty pounds around, guarantee that the Caddy will cruise smoothly from the moment you start riding it. With a five hundred watt motor and forty-eight volt battery, the Caddy is good for up to thirty-five miles on a single charge and can return a top speed of around twenty miles per hour. It isn’t the fastest electric trike out there, but it is one of the best looking.
And when you get to wherever you’re going, the front and rear baskets mean that you can get whatever it is you want and safely stow it onboard the Caddy for the trip back. We love those fat tires! The heavy torque motor, will also make short work of any golf course, so you can kiss your Golf Buggy goodbye and you won’t be needing a Caddy to carry your clubs either – and no, the potential double meaning of the Emojo’s name hadn’t escaped our attention either. The Caddy is a rare thing of beauty that looks good wherever you go.
- That step-through aluminum frame? It makes it easy to get on and off the Caddy and makes sure your trike is strong, safe, and secure.
- Thanks to its single gear, rear-wheel drive train, the Caddy is designed to be nearly maintenance-free. All you have to worry about is riding it, and thanks to the way it’s made, that’s a worry-free experience that you’ll fall in love with.
- The Caddy also comes with a limited one year warranty, so that’ll give you some extra peace of mind when you’re out and about and riding around town. And who doesn’t like something that’s worry-free? We know we do.
- It looks like a Cadillac, rolls like a Cadillac and as well as having the same sort of instant prestige as it’s namesake, it’s also priced accordingly. At just shy of three thousand dollars, you’ll be paying Cadillac type money for this beauty. But some things are worth paying for, and as reluctant as we are to admit it, we’re more than a little taken with the Caddy.
4. Fat Tire Electric Recumbent Tricycle
Just because you’re starting to get a little older, it doesn’t mean that you’re any less active. The Fat Tire Electric Recumbent Trike is made for adults who don’t want their trike for riding to the store or just getting about but also want to stay as fit and active as they possibly can. When age means that two wheels become bad, maybe it’s time that three wheels become good. And with the Fat Tire, three wheels might just become your best friend.
It’s specialized, low frame height and riding position makes the recumbent easier on your knees and back while pedaling, or in pedaling assist mode and provide this trike with an unparalleled field of forward vision. And as any serious cyclist will happily tell you if given half a chance, the lower you get, the faster you go.
Talking of speed, the Recumbent will effortlessly return a top speed of around twenty miles per hour and a range of about thirty miles thanks to it’s seven hundred and fifty-watt motor and forty-eight-volt battery. You don’t have to give up just because you’re getting a little long in the tooth and the Recumbent Trike proves that you’re only as old as you think you are.
- It’s low, it’s sleek and it’s fast. And with pedal assist mode locked-in, it’ll go just as fast as you can pedal. If you feel the need for speed, you can get your fix and plenty more with the Fat Tire Recumbent.
- Because it’s so low, it comes with fitted rear mirrors so that you can stay safe on the road at all times.
- Those huge tires that it uses? They’ll also take you off-road so you can go where you like, whenever you like on the Recumbent.
- If you’re looking for a trike that’ll let you carry your chattels and possessions or will help you hump your groceries back from the store, this isn’t the trike for you. It doesn’t have any storage space and is only good for doing the one thing that it was designed for; riding.
- And we’re back in familiar territory, as the Recumbent costs a staggering three thousand dollars. Unless you take physical fitness extremely seriously and are one of those people who like to push through all sorts of boundaries and believe that pain is just weakness leaving the body, then maybe you should leave the Recumbent alone. Three grand is an awful lot of money to spend if you’re a not dedicated fitness fanatic.
5. Addmotor Motan Beach and Snow Electric Trike
Who said that growing up means that you don’t want to get “radical” or that adults can’t push the envelope past the breaking point? We didn’t and neither did Addmotor, as they went and built a cruising three-wheel electric bike that’ll let you hit the beach and go riding in the snow without missing, or skipping, a beat.
Like the Recumbent, this trike isn’t made to be a happy shopper. It isn’t manufactured to help your cart your groceries home or take you on a weekly trip to the Post Office. It’s made to cruise the beach, the streets, and the slopes and do it with class and distinction.
Don’t be fooled into thinking that this Motan is a slow, heavy lumbering beast, it isn’t. Its lightweight aluminum frame, seven hundred and fifty-watt motor, and forty-eight-volt battery mean that this trike is good to go for fifty miles and will easily climb to a top speed of twenty miles per hour. With a full digital display that makes sure you can constantly monitor your speed and battery charge and an LED front light so you can find your way home when darkness descends, this MOtna is a twenty-four hours a day electric tricycle for adults
It may not be the most practical trike on our list, but it is one of the coolest thanks to its drop-dead good looks and cutting edge design. Practicality is all well and good when you’re stuck doing the whole adulting thing, but sometimes you just want to break free and have fun and that’s exactly what Motan Beach and Snow are for. Having fun.
- It’s low, it’s sleek and it looks good. What’s not to like?
- It’s the only trike on our list that does almost everything that the others do, but also has a removable battery, so can be used as either an adult electric tricycle or a standard one. And it’s aluminum frame and seven-speed gears mean that it’s light and speedy enough to be comfortably used as a normal road trike.
- With a fifty mile range and a top speed of around twenty miles per hour, in full-electric mode, it’s no slouch either.
- It’s not designed to run to the store and back again with the weekly grocery shop and even if it wanted to, the Motan couldn’t do it as it has absolutely no storage space. It’s a plain and simple cruiser that’s made for fun and to keep you in top physical shape.
- All that fun and fitness comes at a price. And that price is three thousand dollars. So unless you put a premium on your leisure time and are happy to drop three big ones to enjoy it, it might be wiser to invest your money in a more practical electric trike.
Best Adult Electric Trikes Buying Guide
So, before you make your mind up and lay your money down on a motorized tricycle, there a few things you’re going to want to consider.
What is an electric tricycle for adults designed to do? And what do you want it for? Most 3 wheel electric bike that is made for adults have a low step aluminum frame which makes them easier to mount and ride and light so that, should you choose, you can either pedal them by yourself or use pedal assist mode which will let you work in a conjunction with the trike and keep your battery usage low.
Trikes designed for a primarily urban environment have thinner wheels and tires than those that are made to also go off-road. Thinner wheels and tires mean that the trike will, in all likelihood, be stiffer and less able to deal with bumps and potholes than one fitted with bigger wheels and fat tires.
Ride height is also an important design feature to consider – do you want to ride in standard trike position, high and straight or would you prefer to be lower and closer to the ground? The lower you are, the more problems you’ll have with visibility issues, you seeing where you’re going and being seen while you’re getting there, but ultimately, the more comfortable you’ll be.
While it doesn’t sound like a deal-breaker, the position of, and how you use, the throttle can make an incredible difference and can result in you either loving your electric trike or being terrified of it. Do you prefer a thumb switch that will allow you to turn your throttle on and off or a handlebar fitted twist option that’ll let you fully control the speed of your trike? As we said, the throttle option can be a game-changer.
How far your battery can take you is probably the most important factor when determining which motorized tricycle you’re going to want to ride. Are you just going to use your trike to pop to the store for a few groceries a couple of times a week or are you looking to further and get out and about and as far away as possible on it? Whichever it is is going to determine the range you’ll need, so pay close attention to how far your battery is going to let you go.
Are you a speed demon or just content to cruise to wherever you’re going? Motorized tricycles with 450 to 750-watt motors usually have a top speed of around 20 to 25mph, but larger motors can push trikes past the 30mph mark. Again, pay close attention to the size of the motor, as that will determine the speed of your trike. It’s just like a car – the larger the motor, the faster you’re going to go.
If you’re going to use your trike for shopping trips, you’re going to need as much carrying capacity as possible. Electric trikes for adults use a combination of front and rear baskets, so take note of how much space each has and the amount of weight that the trike is limited to carrying. The bigger the baskets, the more you’re going to be able to carry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Electric Tricycle is Right For Me?
The first thing that you’re going to have to accept is that electric trikes aren’t cheap. No matter which trike has caught your eye and taken your fancy, it’s going to cost you a lot of money. So be prepared to spend a staggering amount of cash. Now that’s out of the way, the question you have to ask yourself, is what do I want my electric tricycle for?
If you just want a trike to run to the store and get out and about in your town, then we’d always recommend the EW-29 as it’s a near-flawless urban 3 wheel electric bike that’ll easily get you from A to B and carry whatever shopping you need it to.
If you’re looking for a trike for a bit of fun and adventure, then the Addmotor Beach and Snow is the multi-purpose cruiser that we’d recommend without hesitation.
However, if you’re looking for a more serious, take you anywhere and do anything sort of the 3 wheels electric bike, then the only one you’re ever going to need is the undisputed King of the three-wheel electric bike, the original, and still the best, Addmotor Motan.
Whatever trike you end up choosing, have fun and remember, even though three wheels are better than two, stay safe and be careful out there.