It’s the good news if your kids show some interest in roller skating since this is a fun, healthy physical activity. And if this is your very first time of finding the best roller skates for them, no matter they are toddlers, kids, or children, I think it’s so confusing now, huh? Don’t worry! The top-rated list below has been classified to three common age ranges to help you find out the most suitable more quickly and easily. See Also:
Table of Contents
Top 15 Best Roller Skates For Kids, Children, and Toddler Reviews in 2021
Roller Skates for 2-3 years old
Fun Roll Boy’s Jr Adjustable Roller SkateOut of an avalanche of Roller Derby roller skates, I particularly picked the Fun Boy’s Jr for kids within 2-3 years old for some reasons. First off, bones of children at this age range are still weak and easy to crack or break, which requires the roller skates to equip with more padding liner and cushion for ultimate protection. From my experience, these are the most supportive boots. Plus, they even lower the center of gravity due to the wider stance design, hence, delivering more balance and safety while riding. In other words, they limit the risk of falling efficiently. Wheels, in this case, are leveraged to be grippier and smoother on almost surfaces. They are durable enough to roll inside the house, outdoors or at skate rink with no issues.
- Large wheels, great stopper, and wider base for a lower center of gravity helping kids to keep balance better
- Roll smoothly and non-marking on almost surface
- Ultra-padding for ultimate protection around kids’ ankles, legs, and toes.
- A bit harder to adjust
- The front toe is prone to crack
Chicago Kids Adjustable Quad Roller Skates
(Purple)With over 100 years as a leading brand in the skating industry and moreover, a 30-day warranty, I highly recommend the Chicago Roller Skates for kids aging 2-3 for the quality and performance. This is a good choice for parents who want to take a big step from the over-the-shoe adjustable skates. They figure a two-piece boot construction with a hi-top silhouette that can adjust from size 1-4. Furthermore, are the micro ratchet buckles, padded collar, and breathable nylon inner mesh – the perfect combo for extra secure feel fit. Like other good roller skates, these go true to size and can last longer with your growing kids while the price can’t be more affordable.
- Bolt-on the side is easy to adjust for better control the wheel turns and speed
- Adjustable size to last long with a growing kid
- Provide good ankle support
- Heavy compared to other counterparts in this field
Chicago Boy’s Adjustable Quad Roller SkateThese Chicago are another roller skate with adjustable sizing mechanism to fit for 3-8 years old kids. Its construction is fairly similar to the previous sibling with a two-piece design, inner breathable mesh, and inner collar padding. Two biggest differences are the expanded wheels – up to 60mm for extra stability and traction – and the large front brake – the typical component of traditional quad roller skates. They take the role of keeping safety for kids during sudden stops. Accordingly, I’d like to suggest this skate for flat surfaces only like at home or in the skate rinks for entertaining. Besides, kids within 2-3 years old are still too young to try outdoor skating.
- Super-large wheels – 60mm – to ensure stability, balance, and control
- Large front brake to easily stop when in need with assured safety
- The clasps are a bit hard to get them on/off
- A bit bulky and heavy for kids at this age range
Lenexa Roller Skates for GirlsThe Lenexa Roller Skates are a nice choice for enthusiast girls who love unicorns and a good time riding around the block. The best part about them is the unusual boot type with fast, easy-push free rolling bearings. With beginner riders, they’re easy to build up momentum and keep balance, helping them to learn faster. In case that they need to stop, the Pixie toe brake still allows them to slow down gradually and safely. Constructed with durable, moderately-wide wheels, Lenexa Roller Skates either don’t limit the playgrounds of your kids. They can freely enjoy riding indoors, at skate rink or outdoors with safety and control. They might be also one of the most lightweight skate shoes since the exterior is crafted from durable canvas, not thick strong plastic like others.
- Canvas exterior for lightness and ultra-breathability
- Pixie toe brake helps kids to stop safely
- Don’t come with adjustable sizing so the shoes won’t last over a year because of fast-growing kids
Roller Skates for 4-7 years old
Roller Derby Girl’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller SkateNow, are the Roller Derby for girls with cute pink strap, wheels, and stopper that your daughter might find herself smitten for. Regardless of the feminine outlook, the original construction of these shoes is much the same as Roller Derby Boy’s Trac. Including 54mm urethane wheels, G-Force 608ZB carbon bearings, reinforced polymer frame, Cam-Lever buckles and no laces to tie. The best thing is, you can remove and wash the comfort liner to keep the skates from bad smell.
- Washable, removable comfort liners
- You can pull or push the base to flexibly size the shoes to fit your daughter’s feet
- Roomy clasps
- Washable, removable comfort liners
- You can pull or push the base to flexibly size the shoes to fit your daughter’s feet
- Roomy clasps
FireStar Youth Girl’s Roller SkateFor parents who want to make a step-up from rental skates to a new, rainbow pair for your youth girl without breaking the bank, FiveStar is a good go-to. They are designed with lace closure and a power strap on the upper top that kids can easily put on by herself. Compared to other counterparts, FireStar is pretty lightweight – under 4 pounds – that kids can easily turn and strides with excellent control. Notice that these aren’t adjustable-size shoes so, ensure picking the most suitable for the kids’ feet. Though they won’t last over a year because of your quick-growing kid, in turns, the price is quite excellent. With beginner skaters, you also remember to tighten slightly the nuts on each of the wheels to make them roll more slowly. In other words, this helps to ensure your kids’ safety. Overall, FiveStar is irresistible skate shoes for your little girls to zoom around the house and keep them from numbing their brains with tablet screen or TV all the time.
- Kids can easily put on the shoes by themselves
- Padded collar & cushioned liner for ultimate ankle support
- Excellent control for strides and turns
- Laces have a cheap feel
- As kids keep growing quickly, the shoes (with no adjustable size) won’t last over a year
Roller Derby Boy’s Trac Star Adjustable Roller SkateAnother adjustable-lengthwise roller skate in this list but compared to other counterparts, the way they do to adjust to different sizes is a bit cleverer and smoother. There’s a button near the heel of the shoes to extend the rigid skate parts while the Velcro strap in the inner boots to be easily lengthened. The nut on each wheel is also adjustable to tighten or loosen based on the riding skill of your kids to let them ride more smoothly and safely. The best thing about this pair is no laces to tie. They just come with Cam-Lever buckles so kids can easily put in and tighten them to the best fit on their own. The wheels are another great bonus as they can roll smoothly and robustly on rough surfaces, even on paved road or cement driveway. While pricing not too expensive, the Roller Derby Boy’s Trac Star is great for growing feet and for learning to skate. Parents who are in a tight budget should give these a try!
- The easiest for kids to take on/off on their own as no laces to tie
- Improved adjustable lengthwise system for better use
- Can roll over tough terrains like paved roads and cement driveway
- A bit thinner foot padding and insoles
- Not various in the size chart
Kandy-Luscious Kid’s Roller SkatesAt the mid-price range, I’m glad that the cool Kandy-Luscious give a nice roll to the wheels aside from their super cute looking. They are tough 58mm 82A polyurethane wheels to provide smooth, easy-riding at home, outdoors, and in skate rinks. Though built with ABEC-7 bearings, you can tighten the axle nuts to create more friction, making it go slower. Regardless, trucks and other components work decently. My daughter who isn’t naturally athletic is now liking to ride them daily. Wheels and bearings have really held up well and up to now, after 8 months of use, they still ride smoothly with minimal wears and tears. Plus, they are quiet and non-marking to leave little to no damage to the wood flooring in our house.
- Quiet-rolling, durable, and non-marking wheels to roll indoors and outdoors
- Leave no damage on the floor when riding indoors
- Smooth and silent bearings
- A bit more slippery than the Chicago Skates
- Not accurate size chart
Kuxuan Saya Roller Skates Adjustable For Kids
- Can expand from size 1-4 -> save more in the long terms
- Entertaining light-up wheels that are designed as self-generated power system
- Triple protection to give your kids a safer condition when skating
- Toe stops aren’t good
- Low-quality bearings
Roller Skates for 8-10 years old
Chicago Girls Sidewalk Roller Skate – White Youth Quad Skates
(Size 1)Last but not least, are the Chicago Girls Sidewalk Roller Skates and so far so good. Seem to be much more stable and higher quality than the rentals at my nearby rink. It’s great for beginners with extra-large wheels and easy-to-use front brake. For the price, I find their wheels are the biggest selling point because they are super-durable and versatile. On almost surfaces, from sandy cement driveway to the resin-covered basement floor, they perform decently. Though there’s no adjustable sizing, they are better than the Pulse, Light up, Skates and the Adjustable Purple Skates for the adjustable chassis. Meanwhile, the padded ankle guard seems to be thicker and comfier. As this Chicago Girls Sidewalk Roller Skate runs large, I highly recommend them for big feet.
- Perfect for big feet
- 4 premium oversized wheels for controllable riding and stability
- High-top silhouette for better protection
- Don’t have an adjustable sizing
Roller Derby Boys’ FireStar Roller Skates Black/GrayThe Boys’ FireStar Roller Skates are excellent for those with little to none experience in skating, aging within 8-10 years old. They provide phenomenal ankle support and importantly, there are available sizes for smaller feet to fit comfortably. Have no issues with the four wheels as they spin freely with smooth turns. You can tighten them for stiffness to deliver slower speed when your kids are riding around. With intermediate riders, you can loosen them a little bit for advanced performance and that just takes a couple of minutes with less effort. For the price, these boots are much better than expected and even though it’s for boys, as stated by the manufacturer, girls can try them out if they want.
- Wheels turn well and smooth rolling
- Available sizes for smaller feet
- Phenomenal ankle support
- Laces tend to fray when getting caught in the Velcro
C SEVEN Roller Skates with Soft Boot For KidsThe C Seven is one of the most versatile roller skates that I’ve tried. Thanks to the harder 95A wheels that come with better shock absorption, they are ideal to use both indoors and outdoors. Combining to the ABEC 608ZZ bearings, they are unbeatably reliable and tough to excel the control even under high speeds. You might notice that C7 Roller Skates don’t come with overdone high-tech features but just a pair of pliable, soft boots. That’s what they aim to – the top-notch quality with superior comfort and durability to form your feet as best as they can. For that reason, 80% reviews of these skate shoes are positive about its great support, comfortable feel, and precise fitting.
- Good to skate both indoors and outdoors
- Good bearings for control and speeds
- Soft, pliable boots for comfort and support
- Wheels are too small to some riders
- Plate & toe stops are quick to wear down
Candi Girl Lucy Adjustable Girls Roller SkatesI’d like to recommend these Roller Derby skates for intermediate riders due to the fast and smooth Bevo Silver-5 Race rated chrome bearings. But parents, don’t fret! They have still assured the safety because the wheels, in this case, have been expanded to 56mm diameter for extra balance and stability. Combining with the high-impact chassis, these are great for dancing, freestyle, turning and cruising. A compliment for its EZ twist knob that applies the latest technology in adjustable sizing. Compared to the previous siblings, these shoes take even less effort for parents to have the best fit for their kids. Moreover, it allows to adjust up to 4 sizes, not only 3 for fast-growing feet. Such a true money-saver, don’t you think?
- Good for intermediate riders due to the faster and smoother bearings
- Wider wheels for balance and stability
- Apply the latest technology in adjustable sizing to more easily adjust the shoes’ size.
- Can adjust up to 4 sizes
- Not true to size, you should choose one size smaller
- Not various in colorways
Scale Sports Adjustable Quad Roller Skates For KidsThe hyperactivity of kids is like a two-edged sword. While allowing them to explore the surroundings and learn new things, it sometimes pays back with hard injuries. There’s no exception in skating. If you want to strengthen protection for your kids to save them from such bad situations, the Scale Sports are worth considering. They’re built with fixed two breaks, ultra-durable blade, and strong plastic body. Don’t worry, the interior is built with nice cushioning and padding to ensure great support to rider’s feet. Like Kuxuan Saya, these come with adjustable lengthwise that kids can share them together and use for a long time as they grow. For beginners, ABEC-7 bearings might be a bit too fast but they work smoothly and are doubled shield to provide a comfortable ride with control. The only thing to notice is wearing taller socks to avoid brush burn on your leg.
- The fixed toe box, strong plastic exterior, and durable blade for more protection from hard injuries
- Smooth, comfortable-riding ABEC-7 bearings
- Variable size chart & adjustable lengthwise to fit a large group of riders.
- High friction during a ride might make your leg skin get a brush burn
Roller Derby Girl’s Laser Speed Quad SkateTo promote a good skating experience, you need to choose roller skates with reinforced heel support and comfortable padded lining. Luckily enough that the Roller Derby U324G-04 meets all those perfectly. They are a classically cute quad skate with an old-school high-top silhouette for full protection from ankle to toe. Pairing with the non-marking toe stops and Torsion Beam chassis, they provide a lightweight but durable frame to let you easily monitor the turns and strides. For the price, the good-performing wheels and trucks really get my highest appreciation. They roll smoothly both indoors and outdoors despite quick wearing off. But what else to ask?
- Reinforced heel support to improve skating experience and protect the heels of your kids
- Moderately good wheels and trucks compared to the low price
- Torsion Beam Chassis for better control
- Not go true to size -> you should go for a larger size
- Wheels are prone to wear off
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Roller Skates For Kids, Children And Toddler In 2019For young riders, no matter they are at the beginning or intermediate riding level, the roller skates that fit them should come with wide diameters, usually within 54 – 60 mm for stability and balance, leading to better control while turns or strides. The durometer ratings are different between the places that they intend to skate on: Indoors or outdoors. For indoors, the bigger the better while for outdoors, the harder and grippier, the smoother. Particularly, if they intend to try riding on tough surfaces like cement flooring or paved roads, choose the durable, wear-resistant wheels to last longer.
The protecting capability of roller skates is often determined by some features:
- How thick and comfort of ankle padding and bottom cushioning: The more, the better
- How safe when they stop in sudden: Roller skates are usually stopped by either toe-stops or front brakes. The safety level is determined by how they keep kids balance while stopping.
Control is a key feature to ensure kids’ safety while roller skating and it mostly depends on the chassis construction. They should be easy to control to make turns or strides. Out of different types of chassis that I’ve found, the Torsion Beam chassis is the top-rated for superior control and plus, it’s adjustable to fit different foot sizes. You can easily find them in Roller Derby’s products and on the market, they’re currently highly-rated for this feature.
Bearings Differing from other buying guide articles, I don’t find bearings are an essential element. They can go stiffly or loosen out of the box. And due to specific riding levels, that will be a strength or weakness but you can fix this issue easily. Bearings don’t need to be so fast-rolling because, for kids, the majority is to let them enjoy the outdoor activities, not for professional performances. So, ABEC-5 ratings or slower would be fine. Adjustable sizing mechanism As kids grow fast, meaning the instant changes on foot sizes, the roller skates should come with adjustable sizing mechanism to last longer with them. However, this isn’t a must if you have a tight budget. The thing that you need to prioritize is to go for the most suitable size.
1. What is the best brand of roller skates?Three features that I choose to pick out the best brands for roller skates are reliability, warranty, and customer reviews. Accordingly, my top list includes:
- Roller Derby: Because of their various product lines for different genders, age ranges, and riding levels. The best thing is while the price is always cheaper, quality is always assured.
- Chicago Skates: For their over 100-year history as a leading brand in this industry and lots of feedback about their caring customer service. Plus, each Chicago roller skate is backed by a 30-day guarantee.
- C Seven: Not really a big brand but up to now, none of their product lines get under 4 stars in terms of customer reviews on Amazon. Meanwhile, the quality has been self-tested through my daughter and it is really top-notch.
- Kuxuan: Like C Seven, Kuxuan is a newcomer in this industry but their roller skates with light-up wheels are unbeatable with 4.5-star ratings and higher on Amazon. Kids love this extra entertaining feature while parents love them for non-battery needed.
2. What is the difference between roller skates and roller blades?
Many beginners might find it’s hard to point out the difference between roller skates and roller blades so, I’m here to help you easily distinguish two of them through two major features:
- The placement of the wheels
- Muscle used
|Placement of the wheels
Two in the front & two in the back
More balance, less agility & speed
Make wider turnsEasier to stop & stand on them
Have all wheels in a single row with narrower diameters
Trickier to learn but give higher speed and agility
Make sharp turnsNeed to practice more to stop and stand on them
Take a more determined effortGood for exercise
Take more exertion
> Give better workout & cardiovascular workout> Tone your buttocks, thighs, abdomen, and calves
3. Are roller skates better than rollerblades?
If this question is about “easier to learn” then differing from many people’s thought, rollerblades are better than roller skates because of these advanced features:
- High ankles and a heel brake to stop more easily
- Longer frame to prevent falling forward or backward, making them more stable and less wheel clipping.
I believe that the most important things when you let your kids learn roller skating are fun and outdoor experience, right? That means comfort and safety should be two top priorities out of the bunch. Hopefully, my ultimate buying guide has been helpful to you. Thanks for reading!